This is an advertisement

Bouldin Law Firm
Get The Help You Need: 859-581-6453 (MIKE)
View Our Legal Services

How Do I Change My Last Name?

Changing a name for an adult in Kentucky is relatively simple.  If you are going through a divorce or dissolution, you can have the judge change your name to revert to a prior name or your maiden name simply by asking.  If you have not done so through the pleadings, you will have to submit an affidavit or testify that you wish to revert to the prior name. Generally the court has the attorney prepare the final paperwork for divorce, which includes Findings of Facts, Conclusions of Law and a Decree of Dissolution. The attorney preparing the final paperwork will include reversion of last name to a prior name or maiden name.  This is a final court order and can be taken to the driver's license department so that you can be issued a new license with the new/old and corrected name.  Once you have those documents, be sure to obtain a new social security card with the corrected information. If you have a passport, make sure that is changed as well. Remember: if you have an upcoming planned trip, your passport may take a couple of months to be corrected and returned.   Another option is to file for a Name Change.  This is done through District Court and can be done by paying a fee and filing the form (follow link for form AOC-295).  The filing fee varies by county but is typically $35-75. The family court does have the right to disallow a name change, but i don't believe it has ever been done in Kentucky. The choice is that of the WIFE, and Husband has no legal right to demand that Wife lose his last name after a divorce. For changing a child's last name, see previous post by following link: If you need help with a name change, or consultation regarding divorce/dissolution, contact Michael Bouldin at [email protected] or call 859-581-6453.  

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

A Law Firm Serving Northern Kentucky And Southwestern Ohio

Get Started Contact us Now »

Contact Us To Discuss Your Legal Matter Today

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy