This is an advertisement

Bouldin Law Firm
Get The Help You Need: 859-581-6453 (MIKE)
View Our Legal Services

Contempt - Enforcement of Court Orders

Enforcement of Court Orders may likely be the most difficult portion of a divorce case.  It can be frustrating when the opposing party refuses to comply with one or more terms of a settlement agreement or court ordered judgment in a case. Your remedy may be to file a motion for contempt in the court where the agreement was entered or the order issued. Contempt actions can result from any civil action and are not limited to divorce cases. Contempt is used when other forms of encouragement have failed and a party simply refuses to follow the terms of agreements that they've signed, or orders as directed by the Judge. For example, a person may be held in contempt for failure to pay support or provide certain information or documents, to allow for regular visitation, or to turn over property. The court will hold a hearing where both parties are usually represented and will consider whether the failure to comply with court orders occurred at all, and if so, whether it was willful or occurred through no fault of the non-compliant party. Contempt of court is punishable by up to six months in jail, $500 fine and other sanctions per count of contempt. A party may ask the court to award attorney's fees as an additional sanction where it appears, after consideration of all the evidence, that contempt was willful. If your ex-spouse is violating terms of the divorce, you should consult with an attorney regarding your rights. If you are facing contempt charges,  you also need an attorney.  For a consultation in Northern Kentucky, call the Bouldin Law Firm at 859-581-6453 or email at [email protected]

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

A Law Firm Serving Northern Kentucky And Southwestern Ohio

Get Started Contact us Now »

Contact Us To Discuss Your Legal Matter Today

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy