This is an advertisement

Bouldin Law Firm
Get The Help You Need: 859-581-6453 (MIKE)
View Our Legal Services

Spouse, Death and Wills

Most people have no idea that if you die without a will that the spouse is the FOURTH in line for receiving the proceeds from an estate under Kentucky law.  KRS 391.010 defines descent of real estate when the person dies intestate (without a will).  Most people assume that if a person dies that their husband/wife will receive the inheritance.  THAT IS INCORRECT.  Proceeds from the estate first goes to children, then to parents, then to siblings, then, and only if there are no children, parents or siblings, to the spouse. The spouse does receive $15,000 in personal property as an exemption in addition to any property that passes outside of the estate. This may be jointly titled property, life insurance proceeds, trust assets, or  accounts with specifically named beneficiaries.  A full estate plan should include evaluation of those assets which would be outside of the estate as well as those subject to probate. If you have been divorced you should also redo your will and estate plan, including modification of named beneficiaries.  For consultation, contact Michael W. Bouldin at [email protected] or call 859-581-6453 (581-MIKE).

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

A Law Firm Serving Northern Kentucky And Southwestern Ohio

Get Started Contact us Now »

Contact Us To Discuss Your Legal Matter Today

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy