This is an advertisement

Bouldin Law Firm
Get The Help You Need: 859-581-6453 (MIKE)
View Our Legal Services

What Happens If I Don't Show Up For Court?

In Northern Kentucky, as in most other jurisdictions, failure to appear for a court hearing is grounds to do any of the following: issue warrant for your arrest (also called a capias, particularly in Ohio), revoke bond, file additional charges of contempt, or file separate bail jumping criminal charges. In most cases, the court will issue a warrant and will set a hearing to forfeit the bail which has been posted. As such, a defendant should make every effort to appear for all scheduled court appearances. In the event of an emergency, the defendant should contact his attorney as soon as possible or the court clerk if an attorney has not yet been retained. If you are facing a felony charge, the new charge of bail jumping is an additional felony. Because of these additional charges, it is better to attend court and face the charges than to skip, or otherwise miss, a court appearance. In days of yore many individuals could live "on the lamb" for years without discovery and often court records would eventually be lost or destroyed. With the advent and now increased usage of computers, organized and integrated software, NCIC national criminal database, as well as various tracking systems, it is nearly impossible to simply disappear. The charges do not go away, regardless of the amount of time which may pass before a defendant is ultimately apprehended. Due to the increase penalties if a criminal defendant fails to appear for court, the necessity to hire private counsel is increased. An experienced criminal defense attorney may be able to reinstate the bond which was previously posted, thereby avoiding forfeiture, and may be able to avoid new charges or contempt, thereby decreasing the damage done by the failure to appear. Additionally, a local attorney will know who to contact so that a defendant does not spend days in jail waiting for the next court date so that they may be released. If a criminal defendant voluntary turns himself in, it is generally favored by the courts and local judges. If you have missed a court date, contact your attorney. If you do not have an attorney and would like a consultation, contact Michael W. Bouldin at [email protected] or 859-581-6453 (581-MIKE).

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

A Law Firm Serving Northern Kentucky And Southwestern Ohio

Get Started Contact us Now »

Contact Us To Discuss Your Legal Matter Today

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy